View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #63
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is about the same I use my phone for, but I include mail and news. Like I said, I bought the G4 back then. For me good enough and I do not see the reason to buy a 'flag-ship' when this is good enough for me.
Oh. Of course I use it for e-mail as well.

I've never had any use for flagship phones. The high-end models are running close to €1000 at the moment, for the new models.

[b]Not in this life.[/url]

I am _not_ going to pay €1000 for a phone of which I don't know how long it will receive updates, and even if it does, it becomes useless in 4-5 years because the battery dies.

The N4 has a 'somewhat replaceable' battery... you'll have to pry the phone apart (damaging the plastic rim in the process), then pry the battery out using a knife as leverage as it is glued into the phone (possibly damaging the phone, as you can't heat up the glue, for heating up a battery is a VERY bad idea), and THEN you have to hope that the new battery fits and isn't junk, as even the "original LG batteries" are probably not original.

This was a big minus when I bought it, but at that time, I was looking for a phone that could go for about 1-2 years for a low price, and the N4 was it. In the end, it lasted 5 years (minus 2 weeks or so).

The G5, looking at my usage and its specs over the N4, should last me at least 3 years before I need to start hacking and modding; and if I do, I can just replace the battery and (probably) flash something like LineageOS with Android 9 or 10 or 11 or whatever.

Really, I _don't_ see any need to own a €1000 smartphone.

I've seen people complaining about the G5's screen on time of around 7 hours. The complaint is that there are 'some' budget phones that can have 8+ hours of SOT, and the high-end models have 10+. WHY would I need 10+ hours of SOT in a day?! If a phone lasts ~24 hours with light use, it's good enough for me. I have stuff to do that doesn't require me to stare at a phone screen for 10 hours.

Oh, and a big point for the G5 is that it has a plastic back. I can use it without a cover. I couldn't with the N4, which had a glass back. Without a cover, the G5 will be the same size as the N4, but have a 5 inch screen instead of 4.7 inch. For the record: I have _never_ dropped a phone I've owned. Maybe that's because I don't play with it all day.

=== On the same subject of batteries and non-replaceable parts ===

This is one of the reasons I'm still running around with a "fat" laptop. (People often tell me that my laptops look 'old'.)

Yes, they do... but they do have replaceable batteries, hard drives, SSD's, and even CD-ROM players and keyboards. As long as the screen and the mainboard are alive, I can upgrade and fix these things. Therefore, I can use a laptop for 5-8 years. I _refulse_ to pay €1000-1500 or more for a so called "ultra-book" that has to be thrown away as soon as something happens to it out of the warranty.

My god, I _HATE_ the current-day "throw everything away after 2 years" society.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-22-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote