Thread: Outlines?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
AncientGardener
AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I have key scenes and a rough idea of what happens, but mostly I just leave the characters to get on with it by themselves. So the first draft would be the closest I get to having an outline. I can see how it would save writing time by having it all mapped out in advance, but it would take me months of planning to do that before I even got to write anything. Even then it would probably end up changing.
If I have a method (highly unlikely), then I'm with mr ploppy.
I do remember watching late night chat shows and hearing famous writers say that their characters just wrote themselves and they were just the conduit. At the time I thought 'what a load of pretentious rubbish'.

Of course that is exactly what happened to me when I sat down to write my first novel Year of the Celt.

I did get to a point about half way through when I lost my way for a week or two. So I just started writing backwards from the end (not literally). That got my juices flowing again.
As the book is largely inspired by the landscape where I live, walking the dog over the moors would often suggest a scene or some detail to add (a sound or smell).

I did try setting up a spreadsheet to link things together but I found I was just recording what I'd done rather than finding it useful in planning anything.
AncientGardener is offline   Reply With Quote