View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle Touch, Nook Touch or Kobo Touch?

Hi everyone!

I purchased a Kindle Touch from Best Buy and I like the lightweight and ease of reading books. However there were some problems that sort of put me to seek out for another e-book reader.

Dislikes: No page number only percentage except when I hit the menu screen; Problem when touching the screen, pages suddenly skips ahead and since it is via percentage instead of page numbers, takes a bit to find the page I just read, when reading footnotes I am unable to go back to the page where the footnote originated.

While researching for other e-books, I came across the dreaded DRM AMZ file and I can't read books out of Amazon eco-system.

I saw a video review of the Nook Touch and some of the things I like was that I see page numbers and after hitting a footnote there is actually a back button that takes you back to the page you were reading, that the store seems easy to navigate through the Nook Touch.

Dislikes: The weird size of the Nook, I also read that Barnes & Noble has a DRM on their ebooks, some books are exclusive to Amazon and I am unable to purchase it anywhere else (which is more of a dislike for exclusivity of Amazon).

Kobo Touch: I like the design of the e-book reader actually out of the three e-readers the Kobo is my favorite, and I see from the software updates that they have been adding lots of things such as fonts, page margins, etc. of course the opposite is that some of these updates should have been in there in the first place...

Dislikes: Kobo's e-book store has less stuff than Amazon and Barnes & Noble when I am searching for certain books on their website. Also, I am not sure if the Kobo Touch has it but I am unable to see a "wish list" on there store via my web browser. I don't purchase a lot of books but when I do I like to have a "wish list" since I can't remember all the books that sound interesting and I want to read at a later date.

In closing:

1. I am looking primary an e-book reader no fancy tablet with video or music
2. Easy to return back from a footnote.
3. Page numbering.
4. Less exclusivity as possible, however, needs to have an equal or close amount of e-books to Amazon.
5. Design similar to Kobo Touch or Kindle Touch, I don't like the Nook Touch design at all.
6. Using the latest e-ink technology.
7. Good customer service, we have one Barnes & Noble store here and Amazon email is always pretty fast.

When I did research, my conclusion was the Kindle Touch and second was Kobo Touch. Is there a way to purchase books that are DRM free and read it on the Kindle?

Maybe I should wait for the next refresh? Isn't Barnes & Noble Nook Touch ready for a refresh, I think I read about that somewhere.

I am sorry that my post is long.
tron_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote