View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There are indeed a number of successful e-zines. In the fields of science fiction and fantasy -- where I do most of my writing -- two of the most prominent are Clarkesworld and Beneath Ceaseless Skies. They both use the same business model. The stories are published for free on the e-zine blog, then compiled into ebook format and sold on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

The thing to realize when starting up a magazine -- whether in print or in electronic format -- is that putting out regular issues is a lot of work, and quickly becomes a time drain. If the authors are paid, there's additional administrative hassle in terms of sending out contracts, payments, etc. And while it's definitely possible to earn significant revenue from an e-zine, in my experience most new start-ups tend to lose money for several years, at which point they either fold under or hit a fortuitous streak of publicity.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote