Thread: PRS-900 Fading in the sun
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
I believe heat is the main culprit here but i could be wrong.
Ditto (including the "I could be wrong.").

Two recent experiences (I've read outdoors in the shade before and never experienced fade):
  • Sony PRS-505 reading in direct sunlight (I was testing for the fade) for about 10 minutes. Ambient temp about 75 deg. F. No fade.
  • Same Reader, first sat for twenty minutes in direct sun in a black case. Ambient temp about 95 deg. F. Metal parts of Reader were hot to the touch from sitting in the case. Definite fade.

Edit:

Further testing of my dark blue PRS-505. Ambient temperature today: 100 in the shade.
  • Read in the shade for about 2 hours, unit didn't feel hot. No fade.
  • Placed 505 in the sun for 10 minutes, unit felt hot. Infrared thermometer read over 135 deg. F on the dark blue back, and over 130 on the screen. Fade showed as soon as I turned the page.
  • Fade disappeared by the time the screen temp had fallen to 115.

So IMHO, I don't think I have a "fader." The fading occurs when the unit feels to be far too hot to the touch for an electronic device to be expected to perform correctly.

Last edited by jj2me; 07-24-2010 at 03:37 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote