View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #195
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldeyes View Post
Apologies in advance if wrong thread...

I've experienced an issue with every e-book viewer device I've tried.

As I increase font/text size with settings, the margins also increase, reducing the space available to display words. At an extreme end, there are perhaps 1-2 words per line, and a page size becomes less than a sentence. As a programmer/analyst in a previous career, I understand that such an increase of margins would initially seem logical, but since screen area is fixed, in reality, there should be little need for margins beyond a couple of pixels. -Especially on pocket sized readers that have 1 inch wide plastic borders holding the LCD that are themselves physical margins. And as fonts increase, margins should decrease.

My high level question is, would I be able to correct or by-pass this issue through learning and experimenting with CSS styles? What would the process be? I'm thinking that editing the CSS style within an epub ebook in calibre to get the left/right margins that work, followed by epub-to-epub conversion, and putting the new epub onto the device, might be the solution. I have not succeeded with this approach, though.

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide suggestions!
You will want to use the editor to investigate the CSS, specifically looking for margins set on the body tag, or @page.

Once you've done that, send the modified EPUB -- no need to convert it into itself, that just adds unnecessary layers of confusion.

ebooks really shouldn't specify margins, every device already does that anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote