View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 AM   #29
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How about 2 passes - first pass looks for the numbers in the text at end of sentences, and creates empty footnotes; second pass looks for ^p followed by superscripted digit(s) - writes para(s) 'somewhere' then searches for the empty footnote with matching number and dumps content of somewhere into it.
Ahhh, I thought you had some sort of Word Footnote workflow already worked up.

I am not knowledgeable in any sort of Word workflows (since I just work directly in the EPUBs... and only use Word for a final spellcheck + Toxaris's EPUB Tools for Dialogue Check).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Aside - within the context of reflowable formats surely there ought be no such thing as foot, chapter, and end notes - they're notes, pure and simple. I'd like mine in a sidebar that tracks the book i.e. clickfree notes. What I don't want is one at a time popups.
Indeed, which is why a reader should be allowed a choice between those 4 types. Faterson already categorized that one under "display footnotes using a split-screen".

I recommend everyone interested in ebook footnotes go read that thread. It is one of my favorites!

(And I agree.. the popup bubbles... BLEH! I would only allow like them if it was like Wikipedia, where it still displays the Endnotes at the very end of the articles.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Has anyone tried a book with the epub:type and or <aside> tags in an epub2 reader - would the reader barf, or just ignore them. If it ignored them, then that could be something easily added to all epubs that would give better options (pop-outs) on apps/readers that supported them, and normal options on those that didn't (graceful degredation)/
Here are some of the EPUB3 Samples provided by the IPDF if you wanted to test:

https://idpf.github.io/epub3-samples/samples.html

There was also this recent thread in the EPUB section, "Epub3 Foot- End-notes":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3276547

and Doitsu posted a sample EPUB3 Footnote file.

Also, to my knowledge, another serious problem with the EPUB3 "epub:type" is that it forces you into one display method (footnote OR rearnote). If it was up to me the ereader itself to be able to override that to a user-defined preference....

Side Note: While I was looking up some EPUB3 footnotes information, I stumbled across this article:

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2015...-and-endnotes/

where Joshua Talent says this (speaking about iBooks):

Quote:
The aside tag must have the epub:type="footnote" attribute. If you use the "rearnote" value, then the pop-up will not work.
Does anyone have the latest version of iBooks to test on to see if this is still true? (I doubt anything has changed within the past few months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Well I guess that gives me something to work on this weekend!
Same... I will add it to my list of other things I have to research.

Last I tested on my Nook, it refused to open any sort of EPUB3s (thought it was a corrupt file). Maybe I can hunt down exactly what my Nook doesn't like about EPUB3 files. I suspect a lot of other older EPUB2 readers don't degrade nicely either.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-19-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote