View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #32
HatboxGhost
HatboxGhost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian8i View Post
Hello!

I have been gifted the 3.2 ad-supported kindle version and as much happy i was at first so much frustrated i am at the moment! who the hell has ever thought that it would be a good idea to put these horrible ads on an e-reader!???

i have just registered my kindle and i have also been gifted a gift card, so i have some questions. i am very new on this whole kindle thing, so please help, if you can:

1. if i deregister my kindle, will the old screensavers come back?
2. if i deregister my kindle, will i be able to register again in the same account?
3. is there or not a screensaver hack for 3.2 version of ad-supported kindle?
4. if i hack it, will i be able to connect to my amazon account and buy books? or am i going to have any problems?

please let me read your thoughts, i have a very small idea how this ad kindle works!
I got swindled into buying the KSO, but I won't go into the details again on how - not important. You don't have to deregister your kindle. Instead, back up your documents onto a PC, then reset to factory settings. After that, connect to a wifi network, enter your amazon account information to register your kindle (if necessary, but I don't know if it will be necessary to reregister if you've registered via that wireless network before...and before it downloads the adds, but after it's registered, disconnect from the wireless network. This will prevent the ads from being downloaded and you'll still have the dead authors screensaver. you won't be able to use your wireless ever again without the ads downloading though.

I ended up returning mine to the store I bought it from and just ordered the $139 from Amazon since none of the stores within 20 miles had them anymore. It arrived at my door within 24 hours even though I did the free 2-day shipping. I've yet to get the screensaver hack to work on the NON-Special Offer K3, I keep getting U007 errors after jailbreaking (which threw a U004, but I heard that means it worked...). Jailbreaking appears to be pointless for now...

Last edited by HatboxGhost; 06-16-2011 at 08:05 PM.
HatboxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote