View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I didn't realize, though I should have, that this was set in your back yard. That must have made it even more compelling.

And yes, I was born only a couple of years before you, and certainly remember that historic flight. And was a bit of a space geek, frankly. But had no clue at all about all of this in the background.
Quote:
What was hidden from me for all those years was the stories of the black female computers at NASA.
Exactly!

Quote:
Less pleasant were the reminders of the rampant racism of the region; a racism that may have modified its outer form to become more covert but unfortunately still persists.
And persists in areas beyond the region too. But I thought the book did a decent job of focusing on the hidden figures of the title without either justifying on the one hand, or turning into a diatribe on the other.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tom. I came at this first as a movie, and enjoyed the movie so much I had to buy the eBook/audio book pair. I went back and forth between the two. I'm sure at some point I'll do a re-read in pure eBook format. (It's easier to drill down into the details in an eBook than in an audiobook.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote