View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #83
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, his serials were hugely popular. There is a story - I don’t know if it’s true, but it ought to be - that when The Old Curiosity Shop was at a critical stage for Little Nell, winter storms in the Atlantic stopped the ships from sailing across with the next part of the serial. When the ship finally arrived in New York, the wharves were packed with people, calling up to the people on the ship “Did she die?”
What a great story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've never been one to put much effort into trying to solve murder mysteries before the end. I'm generally happiest just going along for the ride and letting the protagonist(s) do the work. Which is one of the reasons why I have never tried to read this book before; not much in it for me.

Of course, reading as part of a discussion such as this changes things, and offers more satisfaction and enjoyment than I could have hoped for from the book alone.
I completely agree with you. I’ve enjoyed this discussion, and it’s definitely increased my appreciation of this book.

This is the first book club I’ve participated in - second month. Both times, I’ve been surprised by how differently everyone experiences the same book. And I wasn’t expecting how much the discussions would change my own perspective on the author, characters, plot etc. Some of my opinions have been completely turned around. Very enriching.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote