View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #81
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
[...] In some ways it's fun trying to guess how the story would have played out, and in others, it's frustrating that we don't know what Dickens was intending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
[...] I found it frustrating when it ended too. After struggling through it, I wanted Dickens to pull the pieces together.

But after reading more about it; how it was released as a serial, etc, it seems that the guesswork and everyones pet theories were meant to be part of the fun, rather than just an artifact of his dying.
I've never been one to put much effort into trying to solve murder mysteries before the end. I'm generally happiest just going along for the ride and letting the protagonist(s) do the work. Which is one of the reasons why I have never tried to read this book before; not much in it for me. Of course, reading as part of a discussion such as this changes things, and offers more satisfaction and enjoyment than I could have hoped for from the book alone.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote