View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereading.com View Post
Also, what if I get one and it hasn't been updated? The info in the OP says that if it hasn't been done it will need to be done manually via settings, but if the device is stuck on the setup process because it's been factory reset how is that possible?
I don't think it should be an issue, I think what it means is just that you will have to do an update or setup via a computer connection rather than wirelessley as you used to be able to do on them.

I have seen a couple of Kobo Arc's listed locally to myself as recently as last month for around $40 CAD, which I think is a great price for them - mainly because I am sentimental about mine... but they ARE old tablets now, and if you want to install regular Android and run apps on it, you will find that a lot are no longer supported (i.e. you can't actually use them).

For what it is worth, I have never had any complaints about the screen on mine - in fact I thought it was quite a nice screen! Yes, if you hold it up against an iPad with retina display you will see that it is inferior, but (pardon the pun) that is not exactly comparing Apples to Apples...

I think if I were to be honest though, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to buy one of these as there are other newer and similarly priced devices out there that will do what you want it for, with a further-away "expiry" date.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote