View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #84
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
But where science fiction is the exploration of ideas (what I consider to be the raison d'ętre for sci-fi even though this covers only a small percentage of the work called sci-fi), I would like to think it is potentially enjoyable by most people with an interest in the particular subject.
I agree with this. My personal comfort level is proportional to how recognizable the world is, but I appreciate that some level of alt is necessary for some themes.

It's the "small percentage" that you cite that makes it a difficult genre for me. Plus laziness, of course; as I suspect with most of us by now, we have our routines and we stick to them. But searching through a particular literature to find the nuggets, from my point of view, doesn't seem that rewarding. If someone who knows my tastes recommended something strongly, I'd probably give it a try. I like pushing my boundaries at least a little.

So, and I hope this has been clear, not only am I glad to have read this, I did enjoy it. I found even the first part interesting if somewhat slow-going and it was a good yarn overall. It was challenging in a good way. It gets high marks for concept, somewhat lower for execution. So it goes. There are few perfect books out there. (In fact, I'm grieved to note that I started this year off with several duds, and not including this. My three star rating for Left Hand at Goodreads is higher than my average on the year so far.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote