View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I think the film "Blade Runner" improves on the original. I don't find the short story "Do androids dream of electric sheep" nearly as interesting and engaging as the film.

.... and now I've just mentioned three of my absolute favourite films (Maurice, Blade Runner, LOTR).
DADOES is a novel, and a very complex one. I think it's one of Dick's five best. Bladerunner is a work of art in its own right, and one of my favorite movies, but much like my earlier Tevis example - it's not a very faithful adaptation. It's more like an exploration of one of the book's themes. You'd need a mini-series to get things like Mercerism and mood organs right - You wouldn't happen to know what von Trier's up to these days? I bet he could do it right

Oh, and since we're talking Dick, some of his short stories and novels have inspired some truly enjoyable films:

Total Recall - from We Can Remember it for you Wholesale
A Scanner Darkly - reasonably faithful, excellent use of rotoscope animation that really brought across the feel of the novel.

Then we have such abominations as Minority Report and Paycheck. But even those hackneyed blockbusters have the redeeming feature of putting money in the bank accounts of Dick's kids - which, in my opinion, they totally deserve.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote