View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReaderPlanet View Post
Being a new member, I guess I didn't know the forum's history on the subject.

One reason I tend to prefer eReader over eBook reader is that, eventually, I see these devices being used for much more than just books. Of course there are newspapers and magazines, but what about pictures, videos, Web pages etc? Maybe the term "reader" shouldn't even be included?
I think the only lupine-safe term for a device with such broad utility (which would necessarily have to use the only REAL eBook format) would be:

PDF-viewing eReader

---

Having said that, I think you are correct that eventually these devices will become more than devices for reading novels... but since such a change would only be realistically possible with a PDF base (I suspect sometimes referred to in hushed tones as "the coming of the antichrist"), contemplation of such a future is not oft pursued.

Personally, I do not feel any of the current candidates are viable or even worthy.

An imperfect but still more suitable name I propose (for the eventual devices whose usability is greatly expanded, but would primarily be used for reading both books and other materials):

datapad

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote