View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It was actually Kovid that brought it up earlier in this thread. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me before, though. After all, that's how the Bible is done and talk about a book with a lot of printings. Plus people do routinely study and discuss it. Makes sense that it would have a good system of facilitating that.
Kovid may have bought it up this time but it is a tried and true system in business documents such as specifications that are revised often. It has also been brought up plenty of times in earlier threads on this same topic which occurs quite often in this forum.

The Bible does not use paragraphs for numbering since paragraphs hadn't even been invented when the Bible was originally written. It does not even use sentences for numbering since they hadn't been invented either. It uses a system that is not particularly intuitive but proves that a standard is more important than consistency.

Paragraph numbering, indexed with headings such as chapters, is an excellent system when a document needs to be referenced. This can be easily accomplished and will work well for most documents but is not a perfect system for all documents such as poems where it needs to be adapted a little but can still be made to work I believe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote