View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #137
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
That, with the HDDs, costs as much as my computer which also has 4 bays. I'm trying to see the benefit of having that if I already have a desktop. What am I not seeing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Built in redundancy using RAID. Built in hot-swapping. Built in RAID expansion, actually they call it X-Raid so I can just change one drive for a larger drive and get more space. Purpose built OS so no need to manage the OS/Virus Software, etc.

Yes essentially it is a purpose built PC... but it is plug and play compared to doing this all on my own.

BOb
Ease of use, size, and maybe even energy efficiency.

And we went for the Duo because the 4-bay one was a lot more expensive (keep in mind, our euro prices are higher than your dollar prices and the euro is more expensive than the dollar). The Duo + 2 HDD's (2TB) were a total of around €500. And we still have our server, which is still running and will (once I've cleared the HDD's in there) be RAID'ded as well. We didn't replace the server as we wanted an IIS + SQLServer system. And the Netgear doesn't have that.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote