View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #830
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've been looking for a free PD edition of Alexander Dumas The Pale Lady, but can't find one. As he died well over 70 years ago, I was wondering if there's a reason why this is not in the public domain; the translation, maybe.
Just out of curiosity, can anyone shine any light on this matter?
Thanks.
I think that's because the work now published as a novelette under the title The Pale Lady originally formed the chapters from 12 onwards of the larger Dumas "collection" A Thousand and One Ghosts.

The Scheherazade-type book is available here in a German version but not an English one (unless I've missed it). The full french text in a nice format is available free from the Canadian website www.bibebook.com.

The English translation of The Pale Lady (there's a Kobo books preview) starts thus:
Chapter 1
Among the Carpathians

I am a Pole by birth, a native of Sandomir, a land where legends become articles of faith, and where we believe in our family traditions as firmly as in the Gospel – perhaps more firmly. Not one of our castles but has its spectre, not one of our cottages but owns its familiar spirit.

The French text of Chapter 12 of A Thousand and One Ghosts starts:

Chapitre 12
Les monts Carpathes

Je suis Polonaise, née à Sandomir, c’est-à-dire dans un pays où les légendes deviennent des articles de foi, où nous croyons à nos traditions de famille autant, plus peut-être qu’à l’Évangile. Pas un de nos châteaux qui n’ait son spectre, pas une de nos chaumières qui n’ait son esprit familier.

I hope this is some help.

[Edit] I think the larger Dumas book also appeared in English under the title Horror at Fontenay - you might try looking for that instead.

Last edited by Araucaria; 10-29-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote