View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 03:14 AM   #26
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well, after messing with this program for a few conversions, I believe it to be the best PDF to LRF converter right now (I've only tried Book Designer and RasterFarian, but those are the big ones, right?).

One of my few complaints with RasterFarian was that no matter how you cropped your PDF, it would still create blank space to the right side of each page to force it into 4:3 proportions. Of course, RasterFarian had to do this so that all the text on a page would fit on your Reader screen.

The innovation that PDFLRF makes is that instead of adding blank space to the right of the page, it enlarges the text so that it fills the screen. Some lines end up being cut off at the bottom of the page because of the text enlargement but PDFLRF simply places it on the next page. You end up with half a blank page on every other page, but at least the text is legible! I don't mind that my 246 page book now shows 473 pages since it's much easier on the eyes.

In case my description above doesn't make any sense, I've take some screenshots.

The above is a conversion done with RasterFarian. Notice the the blank space on the right side, added by RasterFarian even though I cropped the page in Acrobat.

The above is a conversion of the same exact page using PDFLRF. As you can see, it now takes up two pages, but the letters are much larger, making it easier to read comfortably on the Reader screen.

Despite the fact that there is no GUI, this program is pretty damn great. The only complaint I have is the file size. The book I tested is a 7mb PDF; after a RasterFarian conversion, the same file would be a 8mb LRF. After a PDFLRF conversion, the book is a whopping 18MB. That could seriously reduce the number of books you can keep on your Reader at one time.

Nate the Great: You can set the title, author, etc. Type "pdflrf -h" into the command prompt and you will see a list of the metadata available for this program.