View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I posted my reply at the same time you were posting yours, I wasn't attempting to question it. I had always heard it attributed to Mark Twain. And, back when Amazon first started, they actually sent Christmas presents to their customers each year. One year, the gift they sent me was an Amazon.com mousepad with that quote on it, and the attribution to Mark Twain.
You've got me curious to find the source of that quote now. I can't find it in Wikiquote under Twain or Marx, although it sounds like something either might have said, and the page I read in The Essential Groucho didn't mention a time, place, or original writing by Marx in which the quote was found, but it does state the following in the Introduction on page xv:

His line, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" adorns the Vancouver, British Columbia library, complete with credit chiseled in stone.

So who's right? The Amazon.com mousepad, or the Vancouver, British Columbia library? Goodreads (Groucho), or Goodreads (Twain)?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote