View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #223
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I have about 14,000 books in my library and by using tags, it makes it easier to find what I am looking for quickly.
I can relate to those struggling with a large library and the time it takes to do a search. One trick I learned in the Calibre forum is to change your search preferences and narrow down the criteria that Calibre searches on. For me, when I search, I am either searching on author or title - that's it. It has dramatically increased the search speed in Calibre, because it is using less variables to search on, and with 14K books, it makes a big difference..
You know, one other thing I did was replace my main windows drive with an SSD drive (although not for this specific reason). It speeds up the searches substantially, along with Calibre load times -- that may be one reason I don't bother with narrowing down the search (usually) and find the search times reasonable on a large library.

For those with a large enough Dropbox storage, you can move your library into a DB folder and then access your library from multiple computers (but be very careful not to have two open at the same time, as Calibre isn't written to check for multi-user access to it's files and the database can become corrupted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My old PC doesn't handle Calibre pretty well so multiple libraries keep it happy.

OT: I have the flu Tonight's been horrible!
Just stay on your side of the room and practice safe PC'ing until it's gone!

I cataloged nearly all my paper books using a combination of LibraryThing and their cuecat scanner. Makes it a lot easier to do (although still a bit tedious - and you really need a portable notebook computer, so you can do it at the shelves and not have to carry books around). It's one reason I keep the excel spreadsheet, as it also has info on the paper books (which I should enter into Calibre, but have been to lazy to do except for a few). I do try to remember to put audiobooks into Calibre (manually), so that I don't have to search for those, as they are too large to keep on my main computer.

One tip - if you keep your library on dropbox, make sure it isn't in a publicly accessible folder. I've seen reports of people who've had their DB accounts closed, presumably after receiving a takedown notice from someone after finding a file in a google search (most of them were, no doubt, serving files to many people, but it's safer to keep your book files private, just in case).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote