View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #43
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
Oh boy, this looks bad... Why couldn't I have waited... I rebooted in fastboot mode, and used yifan's fastboot tool for Mac OS X with the "sudo fastboot erase data" command as you suggested, which returned success, followed by "fastboot setvar bootmode main". Hard reset, it blinked twice, and now a new phenomenon, an all-black screen. Yikes. I left it overnight and no change. Additional hard resets cause 2 flashes and then return to black, and it does not mount even an inaccessible USB drive. It appears to not be in fastboot mode, since the tool can't communicate with it anymore. I *can* get it into HID mode, and the MfgTool can communicate the Diags image and cause a reboot, but again just to a black screen.
So far my experimental attempts at recovery are not making things better for MY kindle touch. My plans are to connect ti its internal serial port so that I can see the startup messages and find out what the problem is with it. When I solve my problem it should help you too.

Be careful with fastboot. It is very powerful and can damage your kindle beyond what we know how to repair at this time. Do not do this now, but even completely erasing the MMC should be recoverable because that is how android is installed on other devices. I want an image of a complete MMC chip before I try that on my kindle...

The instructions I am providing are of an experimental nature. I am still investigating this stuff and posting what I found to help those who understand enough to not make things worse, and who do not wish to for a complete finished solution.

Eventually, I hope to provide a solution for even a completely erase MMC, but that solution has NOT been developed yet. I am hoping others who CAN help me complete this project assist me in this research and development. I thing a total recovery tool is a GOOD and useful thing to have.

Like I said before, each kindle is a unique problem that may require a unique solution. RUNME.sh is powerful investigation and discovery tool too, so you can see what is wrong with YOUR kindle. I have a long and complicated RUNME.sh that dumps a LOT of debug information to a LOG file on the USB Drive, but it was not ready for publishing yet when I released the simple "display only" version. I would like to avoid fastboot if I can, due to its risky options. I want to make everything as simple and safe as possible, by automating stuff and hiding dangerous options so that they cannot easily be selected.

Summary: If you cannot do your own research and development using the tools I have provided so far, please wait for a more complete solution. Developers with UNBRICKED kindles, please build a RUNME.sh that can install yifanlu's usbnetwork package onto a bricked kindle with a bootable diags partition. I will try to find some time to finish that AFTER I unbrick my own kindle touch using the serial port.

Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-24-2012 at 11:23 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote