View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #34
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
No, it will not be transferable some way, not if you need a DRM server.
Yes, I get that -- "if you need a DRM server". My question was (and it was in the quote) :

the server interaction was required every time you used the files; e-books aren't like that. (At least, that's my understanding.)

We are talking about a situation where you have already purchased an ePub, and you have it on the e-reader, and you have a back-up copy on your computer. Now, the bookstore goes bust and closes its bookstore. Can't you continue to read the file to your heart's content?

If it's an Adobe ePub, you could just buy a new reader from another ereader vendor and load it through ADE, couldn't you?

If it's a Kindle file, you have it on the Kindle and the Kindle for PC. If Amazon closes, you can still read the file, yes? And even reinstall Kindle4PC on a new computer if needed (maybe, assuming you have the software).

So, unlike your Wal-Mart example where the music files don't play every time without consulting the mother ship (and hence no ship is equivalent of "no e-tickee, no e-washee"), there is much less "risk" with current ebook DRM.

The risk is lower still since the current state of ebook DRM is so weak, practically anyone who wants to can strip the DRM as a dawdle. If Amazon, Adobe and everyone suddenly folded, I really find it hard to believe there would be many ebook orphans.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-26-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: clarity
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote