Thread: Laptop Choices
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #75
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
My Win8 laptop was just delivered today, so granted, I haven't had much time to play around with it but I'm not loving it so far.

I had to do a 'search' to find a couple of things I use daily (Notepad, for one) and then another search for the power-off button when I was ready to shut it down.

I was on the 'Desktop', too. Hoping I'll have your experience and warm up to it eventually, but right now I'm thinking I made a mistake.
Last night I upgraded my wife's laptop to Win8. It came with Win7 plus a free upgrade. She had been using Vista and did not like Win7, so we decided she might be a good candidate for Win8. At the outset, we agreed to try to experience Win8 as it was intended to be experienced.

I have only installed apps from Microsoft's store. Instead of OpenOffice, we are using SkyDrive. No problem there. We are using the Win8 mail client instead of gmail and that is a hit (she likes the tiled preview). Full screen IE is also popular.

We installed the latest touch drivers and are learning the associated gestures. The large touch pad of the Lenove z580 is very well suited for this.

My most cynical offspring is even interested in the experiment. He loves the Fire, so the idea of gesturing is not new and even welcome for him.

So far, we are spending a lot of time googling the right way to do things -- more than we are figuring them out ourselves -- but this is a pretty nice way to use a computer.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote