View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
if you buy a scanner, you could create your own versions. A book like that probably takes 2-3 days to complete raw scanning and converting to .pdf.(doing 2pages per scan,and then later edit could make you finish within 2 days, that is if you are so willing to give up reading another book for scanning this one)!
You're right: I could scan it. However, there are two obstacles to consider:

1) It would cost about $35 to ship the book from the U.S. to Peru.

2) I would need to buy a scanner and obtain some good [perhaps free] software.

I'm a book collector and quite familiar with Bolaņo’s work, so I want this hardback as part of my collection. Also, because of its massive size, I want this as an ebook for the convenience of reading on my Reader.

I purchased The Savage Detectives in hardcover when it came out when I lived in the U.S., and then also from Sony when it became available as an ebook.

It WILL become available, as Bolaņo is too important a writer for it not to come out as an ebook. Also, it's a front-list item (meaning it's a new book that is a literary treasure) and is considered his masterpiece.

Don

P.S.: I'll more than likely go ahead and order the hardback when I get my first check from teaching, in about 2-3 more weeks. Also, it'll be nice to treat myself to a birthday gift, since Nov. 16 is my birthday.

....but the waiting....
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote