View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #22184
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
First rant:

My wife bought a Dell computer under the account I set up several years ago. It was delivered last week, but it's still taped up in the box. We don't intend to set it up until next week.

Tonight I got a call on my home phone, asking for me by name. The caller identified herself as being from Dell Technical Support. She had a very difficult accent, but my wife took the call, since it was her computer. She took the person seriously, but between the accent and the background noise (it sounded like a busy call center) she couldn't figure out what the caller was talking about and she handed the phone to me.

The caller confirmed my name and that we had just gotten a Dell computer. She then proceeded to tell me that they had received "signals" from our computer and that our personal information was at risk. She seemed to want me to follow some instructions so they could protect our computer -- the one that's still in the box. Since I doubted that an unplugged computer in a box would be sending "signals," I asked for more details. My wife followed my line of questioning and began laughing too loudly for me to hear the caller, so I ended the call.

Second rant:

I then called Dell since this seemed to be way too accurate to be a coincidence. I was concerned that someone had accessed our information and might have access to other information in our account. I spoke to four people in total over the course of 45 minutes, not counting their charming phone robot. I was trying to reach someone in their security department, but only bounced back and forth between customer service and technical support.

I remain unimpressed.
Something to consider when choosing which computer to purchase. I wonder if your experience was a fluke, or is Dell's customer support always this shoddy? And are their customers' personal information being stolen by employees? I assume you still have never reached their security department.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote