Thread: Embedded fonts?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #38
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Embedded font test

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do admit there is some shody programming out there and that's why the embedded fronts fail to work. But, in this case, I am positive it's not shoddy programming as I've tried the books via ADE for Windows, ADE on a Sony Reader PRS-505, & the txtr app for the iPad. The embedded fonts worked in all cases. The only place they failed to work was with Kobo Readers both original and wifi.
Can you try the enclosed file.. I think it's the most basic you can get in regards to embedded fonts... and I actually had problems at first. I had taken the girl with the dragon tattoo book as a base, stripped it all of but one page, the fonts and the css file. Despite the fact that I could get the pristina font to work when I added to the dragon tattoo book, it didn't want to work for me in here, or at least not completely...

when I loaded the file in both sigil and calibre, all the fonts showed (including wing ding), but in ADE and the Kobo, both wingding and pristina did not and the default fonts showed. Wingding itself didn't suprise me, considering what it is, but the fact that Pristina didn't work perplexed me, considering I got it working previously. Also, it wasn't suprising that it wasn't working in both ADE or the Kobo at the same time because, from what I can tell, they use the same rendering engine for epubs. if it had worked in one, and not the other, then I would have been more concerned.

so I went through the epub again, and in the CSS, there was, what seemed, some orphaned code. so I removed it. after that pristine started showing for all 4 renderers. It just goes to show just a little error somewhere in the code can and will affect something elsewhere in the code, and it will sometimes be ignored by some renderers, and not by others.

The fact that your books have worked in ADE, but not in the kobo is really strange, again for the same reason mentioned above. I'd need to see the books to be sure, so hopefully once my library books become available, they came from the same source as your own and I can replicate what you're seeing..
Attached Files
File Type: epub Embedded Font Test2.epub (1.44 MB, 165 views)

Last edited by Psyke; 12-19-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote