View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
epub from Baen on Adobe Digital Editions: page numbers?

I recently bought an epub from Baen Books and read it on Adobe Digital Editions. I downloaded it in this format because I want to eventually read it on my nook (when I get it!) although it listed epub as "epub/Stanza." There were 2 things that I found really distracted from the reading experience.

1. No margins. None at all. I like to scale down the fonts small so I have the least paging to do. This delivers a 2-page view in ADE. OK, but because there are no margins it's really hard to tell the left-hand page from the right-hand page. Is there some formatting option to change this? I got out of this problem by changing the width of the ADE window which slims it down to one page.

2. Page numbers that over-write the text. Sure, I like to know how far I am through the book but ADE gives me a little display at the top of the screen that tells me that (the page number and the page count) which I like. But in the ebook itself, the page numbers actually *over-wrote* the last letter or two on the line near the page break--not making it go away, but it looks like what happens on an old-fashioned typewriter when you type a letter and then backspace and type a number. When you have 2 pages onscreen, that's 2 lines per screen that you have to slow down and try to figure out the letter. The only time this didn't happen is at the end of a paragraph when the rest of the line was clear.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there someway I can make this epub look good? Will it look good on my nook? Is it a Baen specific problem or do all epubs have this issue?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote