View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #35
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I wrote this guide for Kindle Touch+Windows XP just because....I have Kindle Touch and I debricked it using Windows XP.

I don't know how Windows 7 or Vista work with driver (I used a Win7 once and installed RNDIS driver, it was a bit more complicated!).
I'm currently debricking my KT with your PDF on Windows 7 after a failed update from 5.0.4 to 5.1.0. This binary diff-patching Amazon uses is not really resilient to partitions that have been tinkered with. I think next time I'll dissect the update package and try to do a dry-run update/check first.

It first failed rather early on (but wasn't bricked), then I made a md5sum list on the KT and on my backup dump on the my computer, diffed that and fixed what was different (or so I thought). But then it failed at around 80% into the update, bricking the KT, only showing the tree without any progress bar when booting.

The only thing that didn't work with your instructions was the installation of the usbnet driver on Windows 7. The linux.inf file didn't get found. But you can just select the device "Remote NDIS based internet sharing device" from a list of already installed drivers as detailed here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ng_root_access

Update: It worked but only after also clearing the /var/local partition as described in your document. I'm surprised that there is stuff in /var/local that can prevent the successful start of the device. Or maybe there was something deleted in the failed 5.1.0 update that the Java or Amazon framework needed.

Last edited by bhaak; 07-30-2012 at 05:11 AM.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote