View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post

Also, only Windows uses this sequence. Unix based system (both Kovid and I use Linux, GRiker uses OS X) use LF only. Apple's OS 9 and earlier used CR only to denote a new line. TXT input must support all of these variations including any combination of the above new line markers within the same file. Due to this we cannot do something like: CR/LF denotes new line and CR only denotes items in a list. Internally TXT input converts all new line markers to LF. This solves the different OS using different markers and allows for TXT input to easily match against a single new line character.
I'll admit I haven't written a line of code since C was a pup nor do I wish to. I'll also admit I can be pretty dense at times. But I just don't get it.

I took the test file that I attached earlier and replaced all CR+LF with a single LF and later with a single CR. All three versions displayed the same using the Calibre Viewer (name and address lines displayed on a single line).

So here is my question: If two consecutive EOL markers (CR+LF, CR or LF) can be detected and used as a paragraph marker why can't a single instance be detected and used as a single EOL marker. Here is a list of allowed EOL terminators all others are ignored.

CR Line terminator
LF Line terminator
CRLF Line terminator
CRCR Paragraph terminator
LFLF Paragraph terminator
CRLFCRLF Paragraph terminator

By the way, I really don't have a problem. I use a text editor to create address book, prescription and other personal info to keep handy. Text (.txt) files display just fine on all my eReaders if I transfer them directly. Calibre will convert Wordpad (.rtf) to epub or mobi correctly if you use shift+enter key to terminate single lines. So I'm in good shape.

Ah, the dichotomy of it all - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote