View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
I think that the eBooks market being very young, the big software companies don't see yet a big enough market to put a lot of resources on software to do this. The lack of availability of books (those that exists are all DRMed) make these kind of software not very "popular" for the general public.

But with the new eReaders coming out, we are starting to see a new market appear. But the lack of software available means that most people have to code their own. That is what I did with mine, thinking that there was something missing and instead of waiting for someone else to do it, I did my own. I did this for fun and think that sharing what I created with other people so that it may be useful to them also. (Check my sig if you are interested in trying it, A good compliment for Sigil & Calibre).

It is clear that a big company like Adobe, that could have 50 persons working on a piece of software would be better in time than someone doing all the work by himself, but right now there are none and if programs like Sigil & Calibre are so popular now, than maybe not one big software company could compete with them. I think it is great news to have popular free & open source software, that way we will have feature we want & need and not features that can make money $$$.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote