Thread: Seriousness Affirmative Action
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I think that a case can be made that AA does attack the root cause by decreasing the "strangeness" of associating with those who are not like us.
I think that is a good point.
One of the best arguments I've heard for positive discrimination is that employers tend to hire people like themselves; not through any deliberate prejudice, but because it's human nature.
This results in the perpetuation of inbalance - positive discrimination might be a way to break the log jam.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote