Code:
.breakBefore {
  page-break-before: always;
  break-before: column;
  -webkit-column-break-before: always;
  break-inside: avoid-column;
  -webkit-column-break-inside: avoid;
}
You're right, PocketBook (only under epub3 and with the standart engine) and Colibrio don't honor them, but all others ereaders do (Gitden, Reasily, Lithium, OverDrive, Aldiko Next, BlueFire, InfinityReader, BookFusion (all of them for Android), Thorium (both Windows and Linux versions), Koodo Reader (both Windows and Linux versions), ADE (Windows), IceCream (Windows), Foliate (Linux), Calibre Viewer and the Sigil plugins Readium, Bibi and EpubJSReader. (Of course, I only cited apps and programs with support for epub3)
RbnJrg, thanks for sharing your code. I'm going to try it out carefully.

—Google Play Books (not in your list) is almost a must for our student audience, often with Android tablets/phones, who prefer its notes and multi-device sync capabilities. Sadly, your recommended order prevents the page jump from working. My idea of using @supports is to "hide" that part, so GPB only uses the first page-break.

—In the apps I have been able to test it seems redundant to use -webkit-column-break in addition to the canonical break (see PDF table).
Please can you point me which applications/readers require the former as mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
PocketBook employs RMSDK (ADE Legacy) to display epub2 ebooks and Webkit to display epub3. It must be using and ancient version of webkit because otherwise it should honor page-breaks under epub3. Let's hope that a new version of the app updates the engine.
It was like that until recently. But it seems that the current version (5.35.259, Android) always uses the webkit engine (aka "Standard"), in both epub2 and epub3, unless "Adobe" is selected in the Settings.
I don't have access to a real PB reader, so I don't know how these behave now…

Gracias de nuevo, amigo!
jugaor is offline   Reply With Quote