View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
who knows whats gonna happen to the Ebook world once Barnes and Noble Step up to the plate.

plus with Google planning their own Ebook Store, If there is No clear Winner, DRM free is gonna become the winner.

Google and Amazon both have good track records when it comes to DRM free, or in googles case, Open Information. so if they start losing money because of the fact that they have a bad policy on DRM. they will remove it.

but what happens will have to be this. the publisher will have to be strong armed into using a drm free system, because if one person goes DRM free before everyone Else, publishers will pull their books and run to the DRM system.

so there are 2 things that I can think will happen.

1. Amazon Needs to Win, and after a few years, they will go DRM free.

2. Google Needs to Win. without their own reader, their DRM store will need to be compatible with alot of devices, which currently. is kinda crazy, as everyone is different. the only way google can win is if they go DRM free Early, Enough to pull Market share away from Amazon and competitors, While retaining publishers.

How will google retain publishers in a DRM free system? Offer them more money.

Amazon takes like 40% or more off the top of ebooks (I don't remember the exact numbers, only one that sticks in my mind are the NYT subscription pricec of 66-70% for AMZN and SPRT), Google can do it for 5% and win.

This is the way I hope it works out.

Amazon makes 9.99 or less the standard price of ebooks.

Google comes along, they let publishers charge what they want, Publishers make no money cause nobody wants to pay more than 10 bucks for an ebook, so they drop the price to 10 bucks, but they will still make more with google due to cheaper off the top prices from amazon (hopefully. I have no real numbers, but google is the sort of company that takes 1 penny from every transaction, they make money by just having more transactions then their competitiors)

At this point, Google, Or Amazon go DRM free to open their books for all readers.

some publishers pull their books and go with the other One.

But hey, wait a minute, now all those people who stuck with the DRM free force, they have more customers, they are making more money now. and the other store will now be making more money because of the larger customer base.

the Music Industry happened by 1, I think 2 will be what happens to the ebook industry.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote