View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
In general, I have been referring to my experience with the full conversion, as that the main thing I looked at when first trying Calibre. And the fact I don't totally know what it does refers mainly to the difference between the two processes (I wasn't even totally aware that there was one until it was mentioned here).
The problem with that is that it is rare for others to be talking about the full conversion. Nearly all the discussion about sending kepub to Kobo devices is about the KoboTouchExtended driver. And, as I said before, I find it hard to believe that you didn't know it didn't do a full conversion this based on how many times it has been discussed including me explicitly mentioning it in the thread you started about developing a plugin.
Quote:
About the less intrusive part, I am not just referring to KTE, but the fact it requires Calibre and everything it comes with.
Which really means that you want to do it all yourself, so you feel that calibre is intrusive. Whereas a lot of people are just glad there is something to help them.
Quote:
And I admit kepubify does slightly more then it strictly needs to (but that's about as much extra as it does), but I disagree the HTML cleanup is unnecessary. For cleaning up the HTML, I those fixed were for actual issues I encountered in books, for example self closing title tags, which cause the document to appear empty in stricter parsers such as the one Kobo uses. Note that cleanup doesn't mean beautifying or validating or anything of that sort, which is intrusive. Invalid HTML will remain as invalid as it used to be, but as little as possible more. Badly formatted HTML will mostly remain that way. I have also had issues with the MS word tags, although I forgot the exact case. But, you have a point about the Adobe stuff being a bit of an extra.
My feeling is that doing the cleanup of the code during the send to the device is not a good idea. You aren't really pushing kepubify as just that, but, having kepubs lying around otherwise is fairly pointless.
Quote:
I have had some conversion issues with The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrop. I don't recall if it was due to KTE or the conversion, but I remember trying multiple times and having it hang or stall.
Something like that would have a lot of code in it and a conversion would probably be a problem. I'd be interested to see if it survived the KoboTouchExtended driver.
Quote:
That two paragraphs sums it up pretty well. It's also why I mostly abandoned making a kepubify plugin for Calibre, but may still implement an option to convert an entire library. It is possible to convert an entire Calibre library using kepubify and still use it to manage the books (and multiple people have used this before). Basically, you drag the library on to kepubify, you batch rename the converted ones to .kepub, then you merge it back. You either need to already have kepub entries, update the metadata in the books and reimport as another format, or do a database trick (I think I have the SQL somewhere in one of my emails). I think I detailed most of the process somewhere else before.
Somewhere I think I suggested using the calibre library maintenance to find and add books sent added to the library directories in this way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote