View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #30
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
There's 3 main types of Kindle files:
  • MOBI (KF7)
    • Kindle 1+2 and DX.
    • Calibre calls this AZW.
  • KF8
    • Kindle 3+
    • Calibre calls this AZW3.
  • KFX
    • (I believe this is also Kindle 3+.)
    • This is their most recent format. You can tell when the book says it has "Enhanced Typesetting".
I think I've been confused because there's also a 4th type, the dual MOBI, which has both KF7 and KF8, if I understand correctly.

Whenever I saw a post from someone asking about problems making a MOBI I'd encourage them to make an AZW3/KF8 instead because I was thinking of the old KF7 MOBI, but they could have been thinking of the dual MOBI? And then a lot of web sites talk about MOBI like it's the go to kindle format. I've never tried it but I'm guessing that calibre makes KF7, not a dual MOBI, when you tell it to make a MOBI.

Kindle Previewer makes a dual MOBI when you export from it. Hitch convinced me that when uploading here that I should upload the dual MOBI; I was going to extract the KF8 and upload that.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm going to ignore KFX for uploading here. People who prefer flush right margins and download any books I make will have to soldier through with my ragged right margins.

Last edited by lumpynose; 06-25-2019 at 07:59 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote