View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
My Sony T1 has 2300 books and also takes about 5 seconds to open collections changing page of collection list is instant less than 2 seconds. To open books in library list also takes about 5 seconds and equally quick page turns of book list. Changing sort by Date, Title, Author, File Name or Latest Read also takes about 2 seconds. Ok, I confess it is only this fast because I turned off showing covers. If I had it set to show covers while displaying something over 1000 books in library the reader locks up trying to load all those covers into RAM. The best feature is when scrolling through pages of books in library or collections using slider, book titles or author are shown (depending on sort setting) above scroll bar slider. This is better than nearly useless page number of sort displayed by Kobo above scroll bar slider but could be a patented feature. The T1 has a Max number of collections (book shelves) that can not be exceeded.
I had tags as collections once and ended up with over 5000 collections on myT1 and it didn't seem to be a problem except for the extreme ugliness of some of the tags. I quickly changed it I think the collection limitation is only with reader software, but could be wrong.
I have covers turned off on my Kobos but still painfully slow.

Pretty sure Sony hasn't patented the slider, it just works better than the Kobo slider.

Kobo has nice displays, unique (at present in popular readers) sizes and reasonable font options, so my liking for them is a bit higher than my dislike, but the margin seems to narrow with time. I guess one just notices the irritating things more. Maybe I should read less and get some excercise

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote