View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
Was wondering what you Windows 7 users think!

Ubuntu 10.04 bricked my Dell, ruined my hard drive and generally riled me up.
I had already planned on purchasing a new computer.
As a long time user of Linux, I'm almost ashamed to say I'm thinking about going back to Windows.

What do you all think?
Win7 is the best version of Vista MS has yet released.

Quote:
Well, Ubuntu notified me of the new 10.04 upgrade. Sooo.. I upgraded.
After the upgrade, Firefox would not work. It would open and then crash when navigation ensued.
The "bricking" happened, when I "updated" 10.04. It updated everything. When I went to reboot, I got nothing but errors and the OS would never load.

I've tried various live linux CD's to wipe the drive, repartition, etc. But I can't get anything to install. It's maddening!

Luckily, I was able to back up all my data to an external hard drive, before everything went kaboom.
10.04 has been giving a lot of people a lot of problems. Ubuntu has suffered from a raging case of Windows-itis lately, trying to be all things to all people and achieving only mediocrity. Dell on the other hand never achieved anything but mediocrity ever since their nonstandard power supplies started burning up motherboards back in 2001.
Quote:
I'm writing this on a gentoo live CD right now. Only thing that will load and let me get to my internet.
Check out a distro called Toorox; it's a Gentoo LiveCD (installable) that uses Knoppix hardware detection and takes all the pins 'n' needles out of using Gentoo. It has a whole bunch of "just works"; I reviewed the last version HERE (shameless site plug) and was pretty impressed with it. Regarding your current hard drive, my hunch is that the MBR is jerked and needs redoing; shouldn't require any hardware replacement. HTH
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote