View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #21
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Exactly. What's the point of releasing Marvin 3, which renders worse than Marvin 2, as you've just pointed out?
Ugh. I'm not usually responsive to perhaps unneeded emphasis, and even though you didn't use it in this post, all caps like 'NOT' elsewhere, and I turn elsewhere.

I can understand Kris perhaps had various factors that made him decide to release as such, and perhaps during the beta, no one reported rendering issues. Who knows. It was a complete rewrite and given that it isn't an essential app (well it is, but not that essential), some bugs, even known bugs, left for post-release, by an indie developer, I'm a bit more forgiving for that.

Quote:
I'll wait for you to post your EPUB test case(s).
If the devs ask, I might be persuaded to make one, though it's much quicker for me to post CSS and it'd take only a few minutes for the devs to make up a test case. Sure it'd be just as quick for me, but I just don't feel like it. Looked at the CSS and it is this: one line first unsets and sets defaults, and then other others set only what is needed.

Code:
h1, h2 {
text-align:center; …; margin:0; page-break-after:avoid; …
}
h1 + h2 { margin-top:X }
h2 {
… margin:X X X; line-height:X
}
h2, except when defined h1 + h2 (following afterwards), ends up having 0 margin-top.

Quote:
It seems that you personally prefer to hack the CSS files of an EPUB[/B] (which involves unzipping the EPUB file, and open up a text editor to modify one or more CSS files, and then zipping all the files to create a modified EPUB file again) over letting a good reader app to do the job almost effortlessly for you. [B]Well, the average user don't want to do that.
I didn't suggest average users should need to edit ePubs or that an ePub reader shouldn't try to adjust somethings like fonts and perhaps fix a select few cases of publisher CSS, but merely that iBooks worked most reliably for me, and in the cases when it didn't, me modifying the CSS was ok since I end up not having the other issues that plague many other apps. As far as iBooks, not adjusting line-height when paragraphs have it set, and not changing font for specific styles when they have it set, I can understand their choice and not providing an option. In those cases and others, a quick edit in BBEdit for myself isn't so bad.

Quote:
Perhaps for you, but definitely not for me. Arabic and Hebrew are written horizontally right-to-left instead of left-to-right as in English. Right-justification setting is absolutely essential for these languages. I don't see any harm in putting center setting there for completeness.
Ah. then perhaps an option to toggle justification without needing to set left for all would help. As for right-to-left, understandable though like with a web page, I'd hope that an ePub would have the text-align and language already set. As for other options like left/center, I'm more for making the most used features most easily accessible. As for as you say, MapleRead being as iBooks should have become and having a beautiful UI, that'd be nice, and while it does have some nice features, I don't think of the app as such. To me, it seems inspired by Delicious Library with some choices that make it look more like a web page from the mid-90s. Not everyone might think that but that's how it is to me.

Last edited by democrite; 07-10-2016 at 08:55 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote