View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #998
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessen View Post

But I do plan to make other updates to the dictionary. So now that you've mentioned it, I'll try to make sure to update JMDict as well whenever I make other updates, because it certainly doesn't hurt.

Incidentally, do you have any requests for things that would make the dictionary even more useful to you?
I just wanted to say that I'm finding this dictionary super useful and that I really appreciate you taking the time to create a version that works properly on a Kobo. Trying to use pyglossary to convert one from source doesn't work properly.

I'm not sure if you were aware, but starting in June 2021, they started to incorporate example sentences taken from the Tanaka Corpus into JMdict. I'm not sure if they're tagged differently or if they're already included in the definitions, but if they're not, would you consider adding them in (or generating a new version since the one posted is from April)? I know adding more data might add more noise to something intended as a minimal reading dictionary, but for someone like me who's still trying to learn the language, it's nice to stumble upon things like other uses or other contexts when encountering new words or terms.

It's weird that it's not linked to in the main project page, but the version with example sentences can be found on their wiki here:

https://www.edrdg.org/wiki/index.php...ionary_Project

And pie-in-the-sky feature request: Merging in the JMnedict entries as well (I can't tell if they were reincorporated back into JMdict proper after the split).

Last edited by rtiangha; 09-07-2021 at 09:34 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote