View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #282
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jackie_w: I just spent the evening re-testing my cover processing patches on FW 4.12 on both the H2O and the Forma, and, err, stuff got more confusing .

On the H2O, I definitely get what you meant by "it got better": indeed, Nickel will grayscale & dither both thumbails & sleep cover itself, and it does a pretty good job of it!
Grayscaling is done in sRGB space, and not linear light, but that's minor, and the dithering handles corner-cases much better than Calibre's approach.
On the flip side, I get an extra pass of... something on my pre-dithered PNG files, which means I no longer get bit-exact results. Thankfully, that processing pass is minor.

But on the Forma, oh, my...
First of all: sleep cover handling is just plain broken: I figure it's expecting Aura One sized covers (which is what it both generates for sideloaded content & downloads for kePubs), so you get a fantastic upscaling pass that's generally not great...
Second: it doesn't actually follow the same pattern as to *when* it's dithering and grayscaling?! It appears to do that for thumbnails (which don't suffer from such an egregious size issue, although I still suspect there's no dedicated Forma codepath there either), but NOT for the full-screen sleep cover?! (Both issues may actually be linked: i.e., that extra upscaling codepath doesn't do dithering)
Which generally yields worse results, no matter what you do.

TL;DR:

Without IM, the best settings I could come up with:

H2O: JPG (or PNG), BW & NO Dither
Forma: Well, nothing, really. PNG, BW & DITHER, but ideally, with IM doing the dithering . And even then, the upscaling pass pretty much wrecks it.

All my tests & results are available here.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-20-2018 at 11:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote