View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
vasbinde
vasbinde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / iPad 2 / Various Phones
Spam Fighting options

Another SPAM protection option that I use with great effect is the Challenge-response approach. It basically puts every single email I receive into a "likely spam" queue, then sends an email response asking for the person who sent the original email to verify that they are a real human being.

The verification just involves automatically filling in a field and then responding. Once that is done, that email sender is verified as belonging to a real human and does not have to do the verification again. Since spammers don't put their real addresses as the senders of their junk, it serves as an easy way to filter out 99.9% of all spam, while letting every human-sent real email message through.

The only downfall is with automated systems (e.g. Amazon, ebay, etc.) that cannot respond to my challenge message. For that purpose, I periodically skim my queue, about every third day to see if anything catches my eye, or I also look immediately after signing up with a new forum (e.g. here :-)), or placing an online order, etc.

Email hosts that use CPANEL have one built-in for free called Box Trapper. Another one that is available for any email account is called SpamArrest.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Eric
vasbinde is offline   Reply With Quote