View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #21
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buying a DX these days is a waste of money. FrustratedReader gave a lot of good reasons not to get a DX.
Quote:
The main problem with the DX is that it was too much ahead of it's time. If Amazon was to make a 9.7" Kindle now with modern equipment, it might sell. But given how obsolete the electronics are of the DX, I'd say no way.
Quote:
This thread is dead as the OP has not been back for over a month since the post was made. So don't bother to keep this thread alive.
Quote:
A DX is a waste of money.
I think you’ve made your feelings known, probably time to move along.

Back on topic.

While a few people have had good luck with the PDFs I haven’t found that to be the case, probably the pdfs problem more than the kindle. Any pictures/maps Ive found in books usually are so small as to be illegible. The few comics I’ve tried have been a mess. Though really thats neither here nor there as thats not why I bought it, Im sure if the stuff is formatted correctly it works,as the few comics i’ll read they are a 1000 times better on an iPad Its screen and ability to zoom and scroll and of course the color

While the other shortcomings mentioned are true, its a little slow, no lighting etc, how slow it gets with a large library and how it organizes its library but for me It doesn’t matter how fast the newer ones are, how good the 1000 fonts are without the screen real estate and the page buttons they aren’t on the radar.

That said, since my previous comment Ive noticed a small crack in the screen. For many years I kept mine in its Amazon cover case but as of late Ive been using it without it and there is a small 1/4 crack in the screen.

I don’t know how long before this causes and issue but for me I’ve already looked into replacements and a Pearl wink display is about $55 so if gets worse then thats my plan. The battery has shown no issues so i’ll let be and replace it as needed. I thought about I would just read on my iPad if my DXG died but as of late I like the distraction free reading. MY phone and iPad have turned me into a 12 year with ADHD it seems so I like it not being connected.

I have looked into the Kobo with the larger screens but I don’t want spend $300 on one Ialso like the look of the new Oasis with its buttons but again the screen is too small and by the time you get a cover its close to $300 though the $5 trade in plus 20% makes it a little better.

Last edited by Jack Torrance; 04-05-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote