View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
encryptedcypher
encryptedcypher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Works on Paperwhite 2 as well on 5.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aph View Post
Yep. My bad. I redid the jailbreak procedure, and it produced a successful jailbrake message. In my defense, there was a slight difference in the menu exiting procedure (I needed to type 'exit login') and before changing the password file I needed to type "mntroot rw". After that, all good.

I've struggled with the KUAL installation, and it worked by copying the * nomax* bin file to the root of the usb, and then clicking update my kindle. (I was trying to copy that file to the mrpackages).

Thank you both :top:

I can confirm that the jailbreak works on a Kindle Paperwhite 2 on 5.9.4 firmware. I agree that you need to type "mntroot rw" prior to launching the jailbreak.sh script.

I used the Ftdi TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE USB to TTL cable. I purchased it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One thing I'd like to add is that the serial port connection is very tiny on the paperwhite 2. Even though I was very careful, I ended up ripping off the pads of the the RX and TX connections. Thankfully on the otherside of the board, pins TM800 and TM801 are the same RX and TX connections. I still had to solder in the ground cable to the ground on the serial port connection to make this work.

Also, I WAS able to install the Kual booklet successfully and also install the backdoorlock using the KUAL installer. (To prevent Amazon from auto upgrading the firmware).

I would be happy to provide pictures if anyone wants to see how I soldered the connections.
encryptedcypher is offline   Reply With Quote