Thread: Android Android Apps
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Okay, I have a(nother) really dumb question:

Do I need to be concerned about any sort of malware when I download an app? I've found some interesting apps, but I have no way of validating their safety. Has anyone used places like appbrain.com, andolib.com, appstorehq.com? The only ones I've seen posted here are slideme.org and andappstore.com. Any information would be much appreciated, and, again, I apologize for my naivete!
Many of those actually are not app stores, but rather are listing sites that simply link to the actual google market if you attempt to download anything. AppBrain works different than the others in that you install an app on your edge and it simply keeps a backup list of all your install apps. Though again if you want to download new apps, it requires market access.

slideme.org and andappstore.com, as well as m.getjar.com are one that allow you to actually download the apk files. While malware (and even legit apps with dishonest hidden features) are might an issue, I'm not aware of any serious problems (so if others users know of precautions, please say something). The upside is that the eDGe is not as vulnerable as phone is because it has no GPS and can only communicate through user-controlled wifi.