View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
But, this is not enough: each book is a world of its own. Sometimes a discrete defect in the book (nobody is perfect but my mother) may hinder one of these regex. By performing a blind* group search, I will not know it, blissfully follow on and fail to implement some feature...
Which is exactly why I fail to grasp how seeing counts (either aggregate or individual) will help you know that something failed (or succeeded). They just tell you how many times something occurred. If, as you say, each book is a world of its own, then how can you possibly know what numbers (aggregate or individual) will look "right" (or "wrong" for that matter) for that particular book?

I guess a big part of the problem is that I simply don't do blind, book-wide Replace Alls. They're too dangerous with one search, let alone stacking a bunch of them. I step through Replaces one at a time. If there's too many to make doing that feasible, then my source sucks and I need to start with something closer to what my end goal is.

Life's too short to completely overhaul the source-code of entire books. Start from better source code, I say.

But as I said initially ... if someone wants to submit a patch or pull-request to implement this, I wouldn't be opposed. I'm just not willing to use the limited time I have to tinker with Sigil on this idea. Maybe someone else will.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote