View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo4568 View Post
I'm left with put images at the end of section / chapter, do not intertwine continuous text with images.
That works, depending on the book. Or you can leave as is.

I think most people who read ebooks are used to it.

Similar situation with captions being split from the images. There's no way to reliably keep image+caption together (especially on very small devices like a cellphone + large fonts), so you just try to code them as best as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If I remember correctly LaTeX has a thing where images are floated to a convenient spot so that these spacing problems are avoided.
I discussed more details in the Kindle Previewer 3.40 link that jhowell provided.

In HTML, you just had simple left/right floats. (Think: sidebar.)

In Print, you also have access to top/bottom floats. (Think: large figure+caption that attaches itself to the top of the next page.)

There is newer CSS3 "Paged Media" that has been introduced which tries to rectify this problem. Not much really supports it yet, but parts are slowly being implemented (and will most likely work in future ebook formats).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
And that encouraged the writer/formatter to put captions on the pictures so that you could refer to them from the text. [...]
This is just good book design/writing. It's extremely common, but not the best idea to write:

Code:
The cows are brown, as seen here:

[Image of Figure 1]
It's better to say:

Code:
The cows are brown, as seen in Figure 1.
because Figure 1 might not be IN THAT EXACT SPOT. It might fit right below that sentence, but it's usually nearby on the opposite left/right page.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-25-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote