View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #83
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
No hard limit as such - but large downloads will be a problem (with Freda, or with any app) since there is a high risk of the network link getting interrupted or timed out, especially if you're using mobile internet. For best results when downloading large files, connect using WiFi and download the file from SkyDrive.
Also bear in mind the risk of running out of space on the phone. Freda doesn't check whether the phone has enough free space to download and open a book (actually, this is something that is rather difficult to do on Windows Phone 7), and if space runs out, the book just won't open.

Downloads are not resumable. If you exit the app, downloads will stop. You'll see stopped downloads listed on the bookshelf, and if you want to retry them you need to long-tap and select 'download again'.

All these behaviours are likely to change in the future, with the Windows Phone 8 version of Freda. I'm aiming to get rid of most of Freda's download-management features (so I can focus on the book-reading features!). That should be possible because all I need to do is to register Freda as an app for opening EPUB and FB2 file types, and then it is up to the user to decide how to get the file onto the phone. We'll see how that works out ...
But ... but ... OPDS support! Yes, I know, I could just browse calibre's web page in IE, but I much prefer OPDS over that. I'll survive if it goes away, but I'd prefer if it wouldn't.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote