View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Like many here, I don't pay attention to race when picking books, so have no idea on author skin color unless the author is rather famous.
I don’t buy this. If a story is about white characters I don’t think you can claim ignorance when the author turns out to be white, also. And most stories give some description of the main characters so it’s obvious. As I said above, there are probably some books that are aracial, in that there is no clue whatsoever, but they really are going to be very, very few.

Quote:
As a coincidence, it did turn out that over 98% of my reading that year was white authors. It wasn't from my choice of only picking up white authors, but their point that more white authors are published and promoted in general. I try to seek out books from other races and pay more attention now.
Hardly a coincidence. For whatever reason, you gravitated toward white authors.

Yes, there are more white authors and some part of that is benign, in that it reflects the underlying population. But that’s not the whole of it, either.

I read mostly white authors, for a lot of reasons. But I’d never claim that I’m shocked, shocked to find out they’re mostly white. I certainly wouldn’t expect to be believed if I did.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote