View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #52
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I am switching from Android to an iPad Air 3 and came here looking for suggestions for an ebook reader app. I use Bookari on my Android tablet. I see a lot of strong recommendations on here for KyBook 3. I don't mind paying for a good app that I will use often, but I don't go in for the subscription model at all. What am I missing out on if I install KyBook 3 and don't subscribe? Or does it quit working after some set amount of time if I don't subscribe?
Really, from the last time I checked anyway, the only thing you’re missing is the ability to sync your reading location from one iOS device to another. So, unless you sub, you cannot read something on your iPad and then pick up the app on your phone later when you’re going out and start reading at the same place. And for me, this is a dealbreaker. This is a core functionality that should be available and not required to pay $15/year for. It makes me really upset at the dev. I know they need/want ongoing support but they have made a number of long time supporters really upset by crippling KyBook 3 to not have this basic functionality without subscribing.

Let me say right off, I have no trouble investing in a good app with a one-time purchase. I’ve tried a few different paid reading apps. I’m not trying to be stingy or a miser. But I expect the same from the devs, too.

EDIT: Also check out my post below about TiReader. It allows you to setup your own styles for books or in one click, to use the original publisher’s layout, which I really enjoy. I couldn’t get to love KyBook either, even without the subscription issue.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=53

Last edited by varaonaid; 12-29-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Adding more info
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote